CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 9, 2010

"Sometime"

Sometime, when all life's lessons have been learned,
And sun and stars forevermore have set,
The things which our weak judgments here have spurned,
The things o'er which we grieved and lashes wet,
Will flash before us out of life's dark night,
As stars shine most in deeper tints of blue;
And we shall see how all God's plans are right,
And how what seemed reproof was love most true.

Then be content poor heart;
God's plans, like lilies pure and white, unfold;
We must not tear the close-shut leaves apart,--
Time will reveal the chalices of gold.
And if, through patient toil, we reach the land
Where tired feet, with sandals loosed, may rest,
When we shall clearly see and understand,
I think that we will say, "God knew the best!"

-May Riley Smith

I read this poem in "I Kissed Dating Goodbye". Funny how it relates so much to this time in my life. The author, Josh Harris, is talking about waiting for God's perfect timing in all circumstances, particularly dating and romance. But I can see the correlation to all areas of our lives. So often we want to pull the magic thread and see life's hard moments go by. I know I have felt that way with this pregnancy. And why should I? This is the last time I will conceive. This is the last time this fleeting part of youth will engulf my body. The baby will not stay forever. They will not allow that. And should they wait until she is too big, then God has a plan even for that. Who am I to question His sovereignty and perfect plan? It is a funny thing that it takes time for pain to heal, for us to trust once hurt, for a baby to be born, to find good things in life. Both bad and good things take time. And the author's point is that when we try to rush these things we are missing out on even better things that God has in store for us. For now, we need to embrace the moment we are in, whether that be a season of pain, a season of heartache, a season of waiting, a season of rejoicing. I am guilty above all of wanting this moment to pass, whatever moment that may be, in order to relish the next moment. But in doing so I am missing out on God's greatest blessings for me in THAT moment.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

You are so wise!

Tammie said...

Thank you! I needed that!