CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

VBS

The kids are in VBS, my art lesson was canceled this morning, and I actually have a few moments to myself. That hasn't happened in 11 years. Well, that's not true. But anyway, it's rare that I get the house to myself.

Rebecca's heel is injured and I have to take her to a podiatrist. Fun.

Elizabeth hit her elbow last week while swimming at my moms. I seriously thought her elbow was sticking out the side of her arm. It wasn't. Thank the Lord! Just a bump of fluid. gross.

Blaine cut his finger on a swiss army knife. What a week!

I officially have 8 students signed up to teach art. It's not a ton of money, but it's a little and it gives me something constructive to do with my time. You mean I can't read blogs all day?

Flywheel is on sale at Wal-mart for $9. It's $20 at the Christian bookstore. We haven't watched it yet.

We downgraded our tv package from a whopping $72 a month to $29. I was so proud of my husband!

And may I just say that I highly recommend to everyone that is ever born to take a Dave Ramsey course at least once in their life and the younger the better? And once you sign up, you can take the class as many times as you want forever for free. You may not believe or like everything he says, but it is so simple...so down to earth. And though it is hard to believe his numbers he and many of the people he has taught are walking testimonies. One man explained that he made 40k a year, and for his whole life he invested 10 or 15% (I don't remember) for retirement. He has now retired a millionaire. That's amazing. A little discipline really pays off.

Dave explains how every different type of investments works, which ones are good and which ones are bad. We've realized the two investments we've made haven't been the best. Wow! That is why we don't have much saved up for college or retirement even though we've been working on both for 12 years! We are so pumped to finally understand these things for ourselves instead of having to trust someone else. His motto, "If you don't understand it, you shouldn't invest in it." So we've come to the realization that probably no matter what we do we will not have all of the money for any of our children's college, except possibly for Blaine. That was a little sad feeling, but a little sweat never hurt anybody. They can work and get scholarships.

We have dear friends of ours who have been missionaries for 25 years. They are taking the course with us. While they have been adhering to all of his principles for their life and have never gone into debt they have only saved a little for retirement. They never factored that into their support costs. They are in their late 40's and now realizing they should have done a lot more. They are pretty sure they will have to continue working to make ends meet all through old age. They wish they had heard these principles when they were young. It was a great eye opener for me that we need to get busy, busy, busy; don't delay!!!

0 comments: