CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, October 25, 2008

I Did It

I had my second procedure. And it's done and I'm back at home. Intense pain last night, but today I am good. Sore, but much, much better than last time. I actually emailed our small group during the procedure. Didn't have much to say, but I just thought it was cool that I was calm enough this time to do it. And I made myself ask for more pain killer time and time again. It was so hard for me. I realized I really wanted to grin and bare it so as not to disturb the doctor. Now, that's kind of messed up thinking.

I have 9 puncture sites this time. Unexpected, but I guess if he told me I would be pretty freaked out. I can't believe the vein that has caused me so much stinkin' grief for 12 years is gone! I am pretty excited about that. We celebrated afterward with a trip to Waterloo. The kids and I shared a hamburger and onion rings. It was nice to sit with them and talk and not worry about getting back for "school".

The freakiest part is that there were a series of blood clots in the vein from him closing off the upper vein. It had been causing me a lot of tenderness for the past month. He had to squeeze those out. Thankfully I was numbed though, so it didn't hurt. It just took a long time. There was no danger of them going anywhere because there was no vein for them to travel up to, but I thought it was pretty weird that my dad and I both had blood clots the same week! I feel so old! I still don't really get why he had to get them out if he was taking the vein out, too. He tried to explain, but you are either born with a medical brain or you're not.

The best part is that I only have to wear my compression stocking for 48 hours, so tomorrow afternoon I can take it off. Now, she did say I may not feel like taking them off. That leaves me suspicious. But oh well, I can be happy about it for now. And I'm still bleeding all over the place, so I really just don't see how this is going to work out. I can tell you this, after wearing them for one month straight (only for exercise the last two weeks) I was glad to shed them this past Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings for my run. And no pain. I couldn't believe it. And yet....

In two weeks I have another appt. I was so hopeful that I was going to be done. Maybe we could pray that he will look at it and say nothing else has to be done. That would be awesome!

2 comments:

Tammie said...

I can just imagine how fast and long your are going to run when this is all through. I don't know if I could watch the procedure- you are awesomely brave. Sounds like you had a wonderful time in Port A. Wow! I don't think I have ever seen a live starfish. That's awesome.

tpot said...

Oh, no. They don't let you watch. There's a sheet up between you and the doc. You only get to watch them draw a map on your leg and swab you with iodine. After that, all the fun is over and they poke you countless times to numb your leg. Okay, here is something weird. My friend's husband had the same thing done by the same doctor, just two days before me. He brought his vein home! No way. That's gross.