CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, April 17, 2009

Empty Pots & Pans II

I stole Tammie's title b/c I couldn't resist. The irony was just too much for me because that's what's in my garden. Micah called at 8:15 to tell me it was hailing in Burnett and I should put the car in the garage. I managed to get it in without scraping the sides. Then I was on a quest for everything I could find to cover my plants. A few weeks ago the hail completely obliterated half of my garden, and I wasn't about to let it happen again. So, what you have is a garden full of pots and pans. We look like the Beverly Hillbillies! We have a backboard of a basketball net, a broiling pan, a rabbit tray, 4 cooking pots, 2 lids, a strainer, 2 buckets, clay pots, and starter pots. After I got all done I looked outside and laughed. It looks so much like my Granny's backyard and garden.

She never threw anything away, especially if it could be used for something else. Toilets and tubs were reused for flowers. Old washers the same. Tea kettles, pots, coffee buckets, you name it. It all could be used for keeping dogs from digging, hail from squashing plants, birds from eating tomatoes, or catching some rain.

This habit of hers was partly because she had no trash service. If she wanted to get rid of it, it had to be burned. If it couldn't be burned, it had to be hauled away. And when you have 100 acres...I guess you just decide to keep it.

Of course with everything so nicely protected, we received no hail.

0 comments: