CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Long Story...

As you all know I have been searching for some weeks as to my health quandry. I have spent countless hours on the phone and in prayer about this. I have visited my family doctor. I finally concluded that seeing my OB/Gyn would be the best option to find out if any hormone thing was going on. To my delight they were able to see me the next day! So I made my appointment, gathered all my medical paperwork including checklists and symptoms. I had a stack!

Micah met me at the office and I met my midwife in the patient room. I was a little overwhelmed with all the baby paraphernalia around. It sure brought back a lot of memories. You see I've delivered two of my babies with them. What a time that was!

I sit down and talk with her for about 30-40 minutes, explaining all my symptoms (the poor lady) and asking questions. She listened so intently, looked at my lab work and suggested I see an endocrinologist. "Your symptoms are just so wacky. I don't know what it is."

"But before we do that, why don't we just check the pregnancy test to make sure it's not positive. Because that would explain everything."

"It would? Pregnancy test?" I don't know why I thought I was peeing in a cup!?

Following my midwife like a little puppy, the nurse exclaimed, "Yep, it's positive." With the biggest grin you have ever seen. I wanted to fall over. Play dead. Anything.

Nancy had her run it one more time. My head was reeling. What does this mean? How could this be? I'm too old for this is all I kept thinking. My three kids already make me so tired, this will do me in for sure! Maybe I didn't write my name properly on the cup. Maybe it was too faint.

I was whooshed into the room and interrogated by my midwife, "So, do you want to do home birth, a doctor, natural childbirth, medication?" "Which doctor do you want to pick?" My eyes were rolling back into my head at this point. Doctor? Why do I need a doctor? Who's having a baby? Me? Oh, my. And then I wondered, how was I going to tell Micah? What would he say? I wanted to throw up. They shoved paperwork and prescription vitamins into a bag and into my hand. Somehow I made an appointment but I don't know on what criteria. I was completely stunned. I'm surprised they didn't have to move my legs for me!

I had 30 long minutes before he came to pick me up. I went back and forth. How do I want to tell him? And honestly I needed that time to gather myself. By the time he arrived I was at least able to smile. He said I was glowing. And there was no thinking involved, the words just came tumbling out..."I'm fine. In fact I'm pregnant!" And the tears flowed. Micah had the most surprised look I have ever seen on his face followed with, "Oh, my Gosh!"

Then he said the sweetest thing, "I always knew somebody was missing." That gave me such comfort in the waiting room. I kept telling myself that over and over because we always think someone is missing when we go somewhere. I started thinking we were a little nuts. But I guess not.

So, today I am completely overwhelmed and not sure I can do this. It somehow brings comfort to write this blog, to remember the story. I couldn't have found out in any better way. It's all so perfect. The story so funny, so ironic. Much more exciting than an at-home pregnancy test! And I keep telling myself that so many people have surprises and are actually much older than I am. In fact, my great-grandmother, my grandmother, and my mom all had surprises (each of them were the surprise and me!) So, somehow I guess it was meant to be. Oh, Lordy!

2 comments:

no_iffer said...

im so excited for you guys! And I actually choked up when you wrote about Micah's response. Just so sweet. and perfect. I'm so happy for you guys!

Should we do the shoot soon? Or when the new addition arrives? :) let me know!

Tammie said...

You will handle this just fine. God always gives us just the amount of everything we need. That goes for kids, energy, time, etc... You and Micah are great parents. You will be such a blessing to this little one.