CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, June 19, 2009

We Live in a Great Country

I know there are problems with our country, but this morning I was struck by something so everyday that it was wonderful. Just about every day for the past few years I have seen this Saudi Arabian couple on my morning walks. They are so adorably cute. They are older, maybe in their 50's or 60's. He has a dark, graying beard, and she has dark ebony hair always pulled up in a bun and hidden by her head covering. They wear these really cute velour and nylon Adidas running pants and long sleeved matching jackets, no matter how hot or cold it is.

When they first started walking she walked about 1/2 a block behind him. I don't know if it was just because she couldn't keep up or if it was truly a cultural thing. But at any rate I thought it was pretty neat that she could walk outside and wear a jogging suit. But today it struck me that for the past year they have been walking together, side-by-side. He talks to her, leaning over to hear her. He looks at her and smiles. Sometimes they stop off at garage sales. And I just thought, "what a wonderful country we live in!" Had they remained in their home country I'm not sure they would ever walk together much less speak to each other while on a walk. So, I thought I'd share that little happy moment with all of you. I'm glad I was born here and can have such a wonderful, open relationship with my husband.

2 comments:

Tammie said...

This was lovely. I, often, see a family of 4 walking in Avery Ranch. They consist of Mom, Dad, baby, and Grandma. Grandma is the only one wearing traditional clothing. However, they always look so happy to be with each other. I love that we can experience different cultures here in our wonderful country.
I can't wait to see you at the Family Weekend (Weekday) Fun-o-rama!

Gema said...

What a wonderful post this was. I agree with Tammie that it is so great to have other cultures in our midst. We are so blessed to live in America--I often ponder on how thankful I am God placed me in the United States, and in Texas, too. When I see what others are experiencing in other lands I wonder why I was so blessed. I really enjoyed reading your observations.