CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 19, 2010

Burn, Baby Burn!

Last Friday we shelled out $184 for a membership and youth basketball at the YMCA. Sunday I hit Target to find workout attire. This morning I rushed around at breakfast, dropped the kids off, and waited in line for the step aerobics class. Standing in the hallway I contemplated bolting. No one would know. But, no, I really wanted to do this. I knew walking through that door would be the moment of turning a page in my life. I told myself I could do ten minutes and leave.

Well, I am proud to say that I did more than ten minutes. I made it to thirty. Somewhere about fifteen minutes into the whole thing I muttered, "This lady is crazy." She came over to tell me to watch the person in front of me. "I'm trying," I smiled back. At times I just had to march in place because my knees were melting and I could feel my thighs screaming loud protests. There were certain combinations I deleted all together. But by-golly I was in there! There was one man and 30 women. I wondered whatever possessed him to want to be surrounded by a large group of overweight women. I glanced around and noticed the kids elderly babysitter trying to figure out how in the world to do this. She made me smile. I then spied my long time friend from college rocking and rolling. She made me envious. But it felt so good to be in there with all those people. Adrenaline was pumping and people were excited. I bet the lady behind me wished she'd picked a different spot. But everyone was so nice and talked to me, helping me figure out how to set up and get situated.

But then about 29 minutes into the whole thing I realized I was going to vomit or collapse. I really didn't want the pregnant lady next to me to have to pick me up or clean up my throw-up. I looked around frantically for a clock, sure it would say an hour had passed and we were about to cool down. Thirty minutes?!? Is that all? I knew I couldn't keep going so I left. I held my head high, picked up my keys, and headed for the water fountain. I paced the halls until my stomach calmed down. I have NEVER worked out until I felt like I was going to vomit. This whole out of shape thing is a new experience. I hope I never have to get to this place again. But, when I went to pick up my cute little rolly polly baby I was so delighted to be exactly where I am. I felt I was in good company. All these cute pudgy moms were dropping off their babies and little kids and for the first time in a long while I felt I belonged somewhere.

So Wednesday we'll hit the gym again and Burn, Baby Burn!

1 comments:

Tammie said...

You go Girl! Wow! I have never worked out that hard. But then, it shows! Haha!
I'm so proud. And astounded... and a bit intimidated! LOL