CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 23, 2007

I'm Back

Well, it's been a while. Over a month to be exact. Life has been hairy around here to say the least. I have been surviving. My dad had a heart attack on Aug 18. It was so frightening. He was life flighted from my grandmother's farm in Fayetteville to the Heart Hospital in Austin. The last time I was there was when my father-in-law passed away. But somehow I knew this was different. I had peace not to worry. Of course I still worried. His heart attack happened at 12:15 in the afternoon. He was out of surgery by 3 or 4 I guess. My mom arrived around 6pm. It took her about two hours to think straight enough to pack medications and a few change of clothes. I felt for her so badly and wanted to run to her rescue. She was just too far away. At any rate he is doing well now. We were all shook up for quite a while. They are pretty sure (but not 100% positive) that he became dehydrated working out in the fields. They said more heart attacks happen from that than anything else. All he had was Gatorade. No water. It was very hot that day, and he was working hard and sweating like a horse. His overalls were completely wet two days later-head to toe. So as a warning to all of us. We need to STAY hydrated and stop and drink every 30 minutes, take breaks, and don't work in the heat of the day. Dehydration causes the blood platelets to get sticky. They begin to stick around the valves of the heart where there are cholesterol deposits. Then a blood clot forms, cutting off the blood supply. Scary. But God saved him one more time. Thank you, Lord. I wasn't ready to say goodbye, but then I never will be.

0 comments: