CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 28, 2007

Muffins and Grumpy Pancakes

Blaine turned 5 on Friday. He was so adorably cute because this was the first year he actually planned his birthday. Turning 5 was a big deal in his mind (okay, in Mommies, too). So on Monday we were making muffins. He loves to help me mix and pour the ingredients in. Well, this time he wanted to put the batter in the muffin cups. This was the first time I had baked in quite a while and had just gotten the house cleaned up. I wasn't so keen on him doing this, so I said, "No. I think Mommy will do it because it's hard to do." He replies, "Mommy, I'm five now! I can do hard things." And he was as serious as all get out. Sniff! Sniff! Just as I thought: five would mean a few feathers are leaving the nest.

So today we were making pancakes (my fourth actual attempt to bake something this week). I was on the phone with his nurse trying to get some more albuterol. I had to stay focused on that, NOT the pancakes. We got the dry stuff mixed. We cracked the eggs in. "Yes, this is nurse Sandy. Tell me the symptoms he's having and those he's had in the past." I whisper, "Blaine, don't stir right now. Please wait..." And then loudly, "Yes, we're wanting to make sure he has enough for the weekend. What are the signs...." I get off the phone to realize he has stirred the two tiny eggs into the mound of flour mixture. "Blaine, you should have waited for the milk. Now they're going to be LUMPY."

I scurry to the fridge to get the milk and rescue our pancake batter. He cries out, "I'm sorry, Mommy!"
"Oh, it's okay, Blaine, you just need to wait when Mommy says to."
With an actual tear he cries out, "Now they're going to be GRUMPY!" I couldn't help but laugh. Just what I needed for a stressful morning full of physician and pharmaceutical calls.

2 comments:

no_iffer said...

THat is hilarious! I love it!

I can't believe he is five - how crazy. Doesn't it feel like yesterday we were pregnant together, then mothers of new babies together? I wish I could stick Grant in a time capsule or something...

tpot said...

Yes! It is hard to believe. I can't wait to see Grant!!!