CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Good and Faithful Servant

What has inspired all this money talk? We've realized for a long time that we haven't been faithful with what God has given us; however, we never knew what to do differently, to truly change. We'd try to reverse our priorities, but everything would fall apart. We'd wonder, what are we doing wrong??? Not that we ever lacked or didn't have enough. For me the wake-up call: over half a million dollars has gone through our hands, and we don't have much to show for it. With all the wonderful financial tools out there surely we could have invested our money in a better way.

However much or little we are given should be used wisely to further God's kingdom. If you are given much but don't use it wisely, you end with not very much. Then you can't give very much and your heart feels like it will explode from sadness. Few people believe in giving everything away and then living off the very little that is left. I am completely awed by that. George Mueller believed and lived in this manner. But I am not there. Some people believe in giving some away, saving quite a bit, and then living off the rest. I want to be there. Many people don't realize that if they were to invest just a little every month they could have a large sum at the end of their life. What can be done in God's kingdom with that? To me, that is doing what the man with the talents did in the Bible. God does want us to give, and He wants us to give hilariously. He doesn't just want us sitting on our money afraid to give or afraid to invest. But we also shouldn't foolishly pass by a great opportunity to plant something and wait for it to grow.

I have eternal life based on compound interest, but I haven't understood the same principal based on money. I have forgotten that earthly matters often reflect spiritual ones. Doesn't our salvation stem from compound interest? Doesn't grace? You just have to have a little faith (like a mustard seed) and before you know it you're living in God's Kingdom. It's an amazing reality. As one of our pastor's said this weekend, a little faith had Peter walking on water. A little seed produces a tree full of apples. And through one man, Abraham, an entire nation was born. A little muscle burns a lot more calories. And a little money in a good mutual fund can make a million.

Most Americans think they should spend all they can and save if there is something left over and give what is left from that. We used to be there. We don't want to go back there ever again. It's not fun.

I don't think God is mad at anyone who gives all their money away and never invests it, but I also don't think He's mad at those who give some, invest some, and then at the end of their life have a couple million to give away. Doesn't it all stem from faith? Faith that we are doing what God has called us to do. And as long as we have an attitude of servant giving, our money will be in the right place.

Most importantly I must remember that there is more than money to be given away. Not having much money to give has taught me this. Time is more precious than money. Talent is heavier than coins. Serving is more profitable than compound interest. Comforting words are more soothing than the flow of currency. A precious possession is more meaningful than a present from the store. Money is not the only way to give. Usually we think green first. We give our dollar for relief but we never go help.

Certainly there is a place for money. Certainly there is a time to give. Jesus said to do both.
Jesus said, "Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." I want to leave a legacy for my children. I want to have more to give away at the end of my life than at the beginning. I don't want to burden my children with expensive nursing home bills. In these years when I am young I want my doing to outweigh my giving and when I am old and can't do much I want to give God what's in the bank. Maybe that will teach the next generation watching that they can do the same.

3 comments:

Amber Lichtenstein said...

Tania, i love reading your blog. Im so happy you returned! It was great seeing you this past weekend. Can't wait to see everyone at the family weekend.

Tammie said...

You should write a book. You have a wonderful way of reaching out and touching people with your message.

tpot said...

Thanks, T!