CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 25, 2009

2 More Resolutions

With the encouragement of all you racers out there (bikers and runners) I completed my first 5k race this morning. It wasn't anything hair raising, but I enjoyed it immensely. My dad came out with me. It was so fun to enjoy it with him. He walked/ran b/c of a bad knee. But I was so proud of him for giving it a try, and he ran much farther than he thought he would. I hope he feels okay. In fact it only took him an additional 12 minutes to finish!

It was the Frost Yer Fanny race out here in boondocky texas. With a WHOLE 23 runners or something! Woohoo. Let me tell ya they really came out of the bushes for this one. There were an additional 200 or so that competed in the duathlon later, but still...23 people? Let's just say I felt minimal pressure.

My time was a little slower than usual b/c I was kind afraid of overdoing it and not finishing. My main goal: to run the whole way, and I did it! The path was wide enough for two runners, but luckily I only had to pass once. The terrain was mulch and large rocks. Probably not the best choice. Let's just say these people were inexperienced race coordinators.

Race snaffoos included:
1) "You both owe us an additional $10."
"I already paid $25 online a few weeks ago."
"Yes, but we just found out this morning that everyone has to pay $10 for a membership to USAT."

2)"I'm sorry we only take a check or cash."
"I have neither. Will you take a debit card? It says right here you will."
"Only if you are purchasing a yearly membership."
"Dad, can I borrow $10?"

3)Talking to my dad who has run about 25 races and has a closet full of t-shirts to prove it: "We'll be sending your shirt in a few weeks."
Dad: "Blink Blink".

4)Our "packet" included a number and 4 safety pins. Yep. That's a big time race right there. I bet that took them months to put together.

5)Where will the race be starting? It's a really big park.
Staff: "Blink. Blink...we have no idea."

Dad's funniest comment about the whole thing: I was coming back from the restrooms and asked if they had the pre-race talk.
"Yep. They said, 'The race has been called off. We're sorry, but you just bought a really expensive t-shirt."

I'll post the next resolution above.

1 comments:

Tammie said...

I saw the riders doing the duathlon and wondered what was going on. I looked it up and it cost $50 - to early register - and there were no rest stops with even water. Geez! I hope it went to a good cause. Now I don't feel so bad for missing it.